Monday, June 11, 2012

We Moved into a New Apartment!

After impulsively buying a new puppy, Ramonour landlord at Hostel Kankun told us we could keep him there, no problem. Unfortunately, over the next couple of weeks, Diablo had a few "accidents" on the hostel roof, on the hostel stairs, in the hostel halls, & in the hostel "lobby." A few times, Ramon found Diablo deposits before we did, because the cleaning staff "accidentally" let him out of our area without telling us.
 
So... last Tuesday night, we came home and, after Jen went ahead while I locked up our bikes, Ramon told me he didn't want "the dog" living in the hostel anymore. "Starting tomorrow." I was shocked. "Ok," was all I could think to say. Later I went down to his office & asked him why. 

Ramon: "I don't want him." 
Me: "I know you don't. But why?"
Ramon: "I don't want him."
Me: "That's not a reason. Why don't you want him?"
Ramon: "I don't want him."
Me: "That's not a reason. Why don't you want him?"
Ramon: "I don't like dogs."
Me: "But don't you have a dog? You had one here a while ago [a yappy chihuahua]."
Ramon: "That wasn't mine..."



Ramon in his stylish office
  
Well, there's no point arguing with an idiot & I didn't bother. So when he told us we were no longer welcome to stay there either (perhaps partly because of the smoking incident), I just shrugged and left. If he wanted to throw away ~$2000 who was I to argue. As I've said in other posts, I consider it my duty as a consumer to vote with my dollars (ok, pesos) & help drive bad companies (& nasty people) out of business.

WC Fields' once said that people who don't like babies & dogs can't be all that bad. I once thought that was a funny joke, but, after meeting Ramon, I don't think I can laugh at it again. Now it will just remind me of a man with no heart, half a brain, & too many kids. Apparently "Ra-mon" means wise guardian, so I've started calling him "Mon."

But enough about "Mon." As it turns out, I need to go back to the hostel to thank him...

After looking at a few apartments, we stopped by a friend's place to ask him if he had any ideas. He did. There was a house a block away with some rooms for rent. We looked, we liked, we moved. 

Now we have a nice, clean, quiet studio apartment, a decent bathroom (with instant hot water), A/C, a large fridge, a small gas range, internet, cable TV, and a rooftop (which we'll use as a patio), for 3800 pesos a month (plus electricity). It's near the school & the Parque de las Palapas.

Goodbye Hostel Kankun! Compare the pics below with the photos here.







1 comment:

  1. Hmm, I think your new place seems to be more organized than before.I saw the photos from your first place. Anyway, it's always good to have a place to call home... :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...