Thursday, June 21, 2012

Beards in Cancun

You know it's time to shave again when your facial hair is growing its own facial hair. And starting to itch. I'd say I've gone native, but the fact is: beards are not popular here.

And I understand why. To me they just look funny on Mexicans (& maybe that's a compliment). I really can't think of a single Mexican I've seen who I thought would look better with a beard. Think about it. Can you, for example, imagine a Mexican Santa?


Santa Adolpho Ignatio Claus?

As Carl Franz & Lorena Havens explain in their fantastic Mexican travelogue/guidebook, The People's Guide to Mexico:


"Beards are accepted in Mexico but have never been considered fashionable. You'll see beards on student agitators. truck drivers, intellectuals. poets. tourists and the odd travel writer. Long hair on men is tolerated, but the average Mexican man still finds the sight unsettling."


Well, I've got at least 2 excuses for my beard: I'm a tourist and I'm an odd travel writer. Hahaha. At least I don't have to worry about offending anyone with hair on my head...


Not like this, uh, person...


Now that's a hot tamale!







A final footnote.. 


Maybe I'm wrong: Jen just came over, saw this pic, and asked: "What the hell is that? Seriously..." Apparently some Mexicans would look better with a beard.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...