Monday, June 4, 2012

The Bleeding Fan...

After moving into our hostel in Cancun, Jen & I were relieved to find that our room was equipped with a fairly powerful fan. It gets hot here & we have no air conditioning, but we find that, with a fan on 24-7, we don't really need A/C.

We don't really need a clothes dryer either.

Drying clothes, hostel style.



This handy, unassuming little appliance has also been the source of much amusement...
One day, Jen, who is helping me build a social network / dating website called kakool, pointed out that our fan is called a Kool Operator. "You're a Kool Operator," she said. "Actually, you're a kakool Operator! Get it?" I laughed, & reached for a pencil...



But my favorite fan related story is coming, & you won't believe it!


Shortly after we moved in, I noticed that the fan was... perspiring?


Our trusty fan could use a bath.




   
See that tiny bead of oozing liquid in the photo? I'm an engineer & a rational guy, but try as I might I could not explain it.


Was it condensation?


I didn't think so. Remember that latent heat of evaporation stuff from high school? Condensation occurs when hot humid air meets a cold surface; as the air cools, it can't hold as much water vapor, which turns back from a gas to a liquid. So, while condensation can form on an air conditioner, I don't think it can form on a fan. If anything the fan (which is all about spinning mechanical parts) is warmer than the air.


Weird. 


Well, maybe it had something to do with the no-see-um ants that I've written about in another post.


Was it ant guts? Were ants finding their way into the fan & getting crushed? Nope. It wasn't that either.


Finally, a plausible explanation occurred to me: It was a miracle! What else could it be!? If statues & paintings can bleed in Europe, surely a fan can bleed in Cancun...


I recently realized that our little fan could be worth a fortune: This is Mexico, which is brimming with God-fearing Catholic folk. I'm just going to post some signs & pilgrims will come from across the land. 


Come, Bear Witness, for this truly is a... Miracle of Miracles! Our Holy Room of the Bleeding Fan!
Admission: $8. Free with purchase of a Jesus sandwich.


I'm pretty excited. Who knows? This could really put Cancun on the map.


I'll let you know how it goes later. I've gotta run... I'm off to make some sandwiches!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...