Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Cycling (& Bike Repairs) in Cancun

Shortly before coming to Mexico, it occurred to me that I should bring my bicycle. It is a full suspension Trek VRX 300 (perfect for Cancun's beat-up streets & jungle terrain).

All geared up for Isla Blanca...
Getting it here only cost me $30 (I love Westjet & Sunwing!) & I'm sure I've already put on 500km of mileage (including two 25km trips to Isla Blanca). I can't believe I almost left without it!


Anyway, shortly after arriving, I discovered that one of my tires was flat. My gears also needed some tuning & a crank arm needed replacing (because the pedal had stripped the threads out & I was literally using duct tape to hold it on).


I found a great shop called Elite Cyclery (998.206.3145), at Cancun Outlet Mall (near Home Depot, in the West end). They replaced my tube, dialed my brakes & gears, and replaced my crank arm, all for just 200 pesos (~$16).





  

  
  
  
They had given me an estimate of 150 pesos, but how could I complain, really? Replacing the crank arm had turned out to be more difficult than they expected. It took them 20 minutes to get it off!




  
Like other Cancun prices, those for bicycle repair are absurdly low. (it helps when the minimum wage is ~50 pesos / day). If you are bringing a bike & need major repairs, it may be worth waiting & fix them here. And if your bike is damaged on the way, it hardly even matters!


Anyway, I was so happy to get my bike fixed that I thanked them profusely & asked to take some photos before realizing that I didn't have my camera. I think they think I'm a little bit crazy. And I am: crazy for bikes!


Jen & I ride everywhere &, notwithstanding the stereotype about Mexican drivers, haven't had a single problem (tho the lack of crosswalks & traffic lights makes for an "interesting" cycling environment). I hope I haven't jinxed us now...


Wish us luck & happy cycling :)


1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...