Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Getting Around (& Lost) in Cancun

Cancun is a young city (you can read about its interesting history in a future post). When they laid it out, they did not exactly opt for a NSEW grid.


A typical Cancun neighborhood (near the central bus station)
As you can see, there are many roundabouts (so much better than traffic lights) & cul-de-sacs & one-way streets. While this actually makes for more efficient travel (because you can usually drive shorter distances), it can drive a tourist completely insane. Add to that the address system (eg: Chichen Itza, supermanzana 32, Manzana 12, lote X) & you have a recipe for insanity.


When we first arrived, we got a couple of maps from hotels, & began exploring. After getting lost a few times while trying to orient myself with the sun, I realized something I should have noticed much sooner. The top of the map did not point North. it pointed West! The same thing has happened to me only once before, in another Spanish-speaking city with crazy curvilinear streets: Seville.


WTF! 


Is this a joke they play on tourists? Is it a subtle reflection of national pessimism, or romanticism (looking in the direction of the setting sun). Or maybe maps are made by the taxi companies? I know if I was trying to confuse tourists as much as possible, I too would put East or West at the top (as a complete reversal, with South at the top, would too quickly be discovered).


Oh well.


Not a week goes by when Jen & I don't get lost. But one of the great joys of traveling is accidental discoveries & I've certainly seen parts of Cancun that I normally wouldn't have (see my post about Cancun buses).



OK, I'm off to Walmart. At least that's the plan...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...