Thursday, May 31, 2012

The Supermarket Sausage Incident

So.. Jen & I went shopping at a supermarket (Chedraui) today & picked up some groceries. Among our discoveries was some "salchicha zwan viiena." They are very tasty, only about $5/kilogram, & may be named after a cool band...









Apparently, however, you need to be very careful when you buy this stuff. You may have noticed that I wrapped the tray in a plastic bag before I snapped the photo above.
Well, here's why...


When I picked up the package, I didn't notice that there was a leak: the clerk who wrapped the tray left one corner completely uncovered. Not until about 5 minutes later did Jen point out that I had giant drops of oily orange sauce all over my shirt & shorts! luckily I was wearing yellow shorts, which will mask the stain, but the tank top could be a write-off.


Rockin' a new style: Sausage Spatter!


Now, here's where the story gets interesting...


We finished shopping, paid for our stuff, and headed over to the Customer Service booth, where I explained what had happened, pointed out the sloppy wrapping job which had caused the problem, & asked if they might be willing to replace my shirt, which (incidentally) I bought there a few days ago.


The answer was a definite "No." "This is Mexico," I was told by a CSR, who was also manning a booth where Chedraui (like every other person in Cancun) sells tours to local theme parks & other attractions. "It doesn't work that way here."


"Really?" I asked. "So I have to walk around all day wearing this?"


The answer, apparently, was "Yes."


That's when I lost it.


"So you're telling me good Customer Service doesn't exist in Mexico?" I shouted. "I think it does! I know it does, because I've seen it. A lot! What you mean to say is: 'Good Customer Service doesn't exist at Chedraui!' Please: stop making excuses for your crappy attitude & insulting & blaming your glorious country & shaming its beautiful people. What kind of Mexican are you!? If Pancho Villa was alive, he would disembowel you & bury you in a pile of your own feces!"


Ok, I might not have said exactly that. Actually, being a polite Canadian, I didn't say anything even remotely like it. But that's what I wanted to say. I also wanted to point out that if I lived by his rules in his version of Mexico, I'd just threaten to break stuff if they didn't give me a new shirt & throw in an extra $1,000 for my trouble.


What I did say was that I'd blog about the incident, as if they cared (or understood). Why would they? I suspect that even the managers wouldn't care, which is why I didn't bother to press the issue, though it occurs to me now that it might be fun to try.


Anyway, I'll still shop at Chedraui (you can't beat their 1 peso kaiser rolls), but I'll be voting with my money & going out of my way to shop elsewhere whenever possible. So, this little episode could end up costing them a thousand dollars in sales. Not because I care about a $2 shirt, but because I feel like consumers have an ethical duty to help drive crappy companies out of business.


Btw, I almost forgot my favorite part of the story. As we were leaving, one of the CSRs asked us where we were from. When I told her we were Canadian, she asked Jen & I if we wanted to buy a tour!


Yeah, right. You refuse to help me, without even apologizing. then you have the audacity to ask for my patronage? Seriously? I told her we lived in Cancun, and saw a look of surprise flash across her face.


I think I'll go back next time I'm in the area (actually, I'm in the area right now). "Hey, lady," I'm gonna tell her. "We aren't like normal tourists, so you might want to be nicer to us, especially if you want us to buy what you're selling. They may not have Customer Service in Mexico but I've heard revenge is very popular!"


Last Update: June 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...