Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Learning Spanish -- Funny Spanish Language Bloopers

As Jen & I learn Spanish (slowly), we have made a host of Spanish Bloopers. I'll share some of these here & update the page if (when!) they happen...

I've also heard many funny stories about other tourists. I'll relate some of those in a separate post.

Ok, here we go....



1) "Scared of the dog..."

Shortly after we moved to Cancun, Jen & I acquired a puppy (who we named Diablo). One day, the cleaner's daughter (who was about 10 years old) was visiting. She was clearly smitten with little Diablo but was also hesitant to touch him (especially after I tried to explain that, like all puppies, he was a biter). She didn't seem to speak any English, so I also explained, in my limited Spanish, that she really had nothing to be scared about.


Using google, I translated: "You don't need to be scared of the dog..." Then I memorized the result: "Usted no necesita tener miedo del perro" (which actually means: "You don't need to have fear of the dog). Or should I say thought I had memorized. What I actually told her was: "Usted no necesita tener mierdo del perro" -- "You don't need to have poop of the dog..."



Margarita & her daughter
   
2) "Las tres hotas.."


One day when our friend Jesse was visiting, Jen & Jesse & I (Jay) wandered down to Coco Bongo in the Hotel Zone. We soon found ourselves chatting with a gregarious waiter named Hermano. After exchanging names, we noted that we were "like the three J's", which in Spanish, translates to "3 jotas" (pronounced "hotas"). Hermano laughed & told us to be careful with our pronunciation: "Las tres hotos," he explained, means the three homosexuals!


3) "I'm sooooo cansado."


One day, clearly exhausted, I explained to someone that I was very tired. At least that's what I thought I said. In fact, "cansado" means tired, but I had said I was "muy casado" -- very married! Oh, well... Close enough, right honey :)


4) Coming soon....



Last Update: June 2012

3 comments:

  1. Dentistry is a highly developed and a progressive field in Beverly Hills. Dentists at Beverly Hills are quite Professional and skilled.
    cancun dentist

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cancun dentist Quote below for the dental treatment you need.Your dental quote will
    be e-mailed to you,and will include an estimate of the total cost of the dental
    treatment you have selected,total number of days you will be required to stay in
    Mexico and dentist's notes.We will also contact you as soon as possible.

    Dentist in Cancun
    dentist Cancun
    Cancun dentist

    ReplyDelete

  3. We be inflicted with a laboratory on-site,everywhere we can go one digit of
    dental pieces We single aid the finest,industry standard equipment unfilled
    on the promote,all imported from the USA,Japan and Germany.

    Dentist in Cancun
    dentist Cancun
    Cancun dentist

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...