Saturday, July 28, 2012

Hotel Zone Olympic Games

With the Olympic games in full swing, I thought I should post something about the "Olympic games" that Jen & I & a friend (hi Jesse!) recently played with a group of tourists in the Hotel Zone.

It all started after we happened upon a beach volleyball game near the Sunset Royal Cancun Resort (Boulevard Kukulkan Km 10).


Though we weren't guests of the hotel (who all wore distinctive plastic bracelets), we were invited to play because they were short (very short) of players.



We accepted & had a good game until the game was broken up by a very enthusiastic entertainment director inviting everyone to play some hotel-sponsored games.

That's me passing the straw to our youngest team member, "Tiny Toes"


Again we accepted & soon found ourselves passing straws around using only our toes, tossing & catching eggs around the beach, & spinning 10 times around a stick in the sand as part of a zany relay race. It reminded me the "umbrella spinner" races we used to have at summer camp, tho it's a little more difficult when, after spinning around & around, you have to run backwards, in sand, in 100-degree heat! Jesse spun much faster than I did, but he paid a price by falling on his ass twice & having to nurse a mild case of disorientation & nausea.



Then we played a bit more volleyball... but not before bringing out a tray of drinks for us to share, including icy coke & beer! Nice.

Did I mention that we weren't even staying at the hotel? We felt a bit guilty, but they did a great job of making us feel welcome.

In fact, because our team won, they gave away some t-shirts, and I got one... precidely because I wasn't staying at the hotel! Call it simple generosity or call it clever marketing. Whatever it was, it worked: I'll recommend this place, right now, in this blog:

"If you're looking for a fun hotel, check out the Sunset Royal Cancun Resort. And if you're wandering along the beach around km 10, stop by for some beach volleyball & free beer!"

Ok, I'm off.. see you at the Olympics..


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...