Friday, July 20, 2012

Fun with Spanish & "Pseudo Spanish"!

I woke up this morning to the sound of our puppy Diablo barking at some other dogs. I went back to sleep. But as I was dozing, I thought I was dreaming about the Spanish...


R-eh, S-ey, Teh...


I resurfaced from my "dream" & realized that Jen was in bed beside me, reading the alphabet in her new Spanish book.


Spanish is certainly in my thoughts. I'm enchanted & amused by this magical language. And I've learned enough now that I'm at the point where I can sort of guesstimate what makes an English word Spanish. Here's my recipe:

1) Take an English word with Romantic roots.
2) Spanish-ize it by adding some vowels (like an E at the beginning & an O at the end).
3) silence &/or soften any harsh (like Germanic) consonants.
4) Done!


Here's an example:
1) Take an English word with Romantic roots? Let's try "spectacle".
2) Spanish-ize it with E--O: So, spectacle becomes EspectaclO.
3) Fix harsh consonants (this works better for words like "strange," which becomes "estran-yeo").
4) Result: espectaclo!!


Never mind that this isn't even a real Spanish word ("espectaculo" is, but it means show). Pseudo Spanish words sound Spanish enough that, strung together in a pseudo-sentence, they will impress your English-speaking friends and, in a restaurant or grocery store, make you seem like a moronic tourist that locals here find so charming (even if they have almost no chance of actually being understood).


Anyway.. speaking of shopping, the other day, Jen & I had some more fun with Spanish. We did a Hi-Five at the deli counter (after finding soe cheap lunch meat or something), & started wondering what "Hi-Five" is in Spanish. Hmmm...


Soon we were wandering thru the grocery store, making an espectaculo of ourselves, hi-fiving & exclaiming: "Ola-Cinco!" "Ola-Cinco!" "Ola-Cinco!"


Ola-cinco epico!




Not until later did it occur to us that the expression isn't "hi-five" (as opposed to bye-five)... It's "high-five" (as opposed to a low-five).. Oh well. Sounds like something a stoner surfer would do, which makes it somehow authentic.


Anyway, gotta run. We're off the egrocerio to practice our Espaneo.


Ola-cinco! See you on the esideo eflipo!

1 comment:

  1. Training dog to secure you can be valuable but it also can cause issues if it is not done properly. The dog could end up being risky to everyone, not just to scammers.

    Family guard dogs for sale | Family guard dogs for sale

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...