Thursday, November 8, 2012

More Funny Spanish - Calzones!

Living in Cancun, I often find myself trying to communicate with Mexicans who speak very little English. Because I speak very little Spanish, I often have to try to guess what the Spanish equivalent of a word might be.

While shopping the other day I saw a sign that made me laugh. It also reminded me that attempting to communicate the way I do can be a tricky proposition.

The sign said simply... "Calzones (Boxers)."

Mmmm - calzones...
So, it seems that, in Spanish, calzones (which, in English, are like giant pizza pockets) means boxer shorts (or, judging from these google results, panties). Hahaha!

It's not hard to imagine a situation where mixing those two words could be a little embarrassing...

Would you like to try my calzones? Can I taste your cazones? Please, can you put some salsa in my calzones!? These calzones are making me thirsty!

Mmmm - calzones...

Anyway, if you're visiting Mexico & don't speak Spanish... please be careful :)

See you at the pizza store...


1 comment:

  1. My English is very poor but I know the importance of it today, because it is the common language of the whole world. So I need to try harder to cultivate my knowledge.
    click to read more

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...