Thursday, November 22, 2012

Buying Water - Agua Men-a-Poo!

I've blogged before about the water here in Cancun. We still buy most of ours in 20L bottles ($2), from one of the army of men who ride, drive, or otherwise roll through every area selling it. You'll be sitting at home, or lying in a hammock writing a blog post, and hear "Agua! Agua! Agua!"
 

If you need water, you holler back & the vendor (let's call him Agua Guy) comes over & swaps your empty bottle & 25-30 pesos (depending on the brand) for a full one.

Funny thing is, one day recently, instead of "Agua! Agua! Agua.." Jen & I began hearing what sounded like "Agua - men-a-pooo! Agua - men-a-pooo!"

Naturally, being the idiotic tourists that we are, we started cracking up. When I stopped laughing, I googled "mexican poo water" & got (in addition to a question from google asking if I realy meant "mexican poop water") almost 5 million search results about water issues in Mexico.

Anyway, today, after buying some water, I finally asked a Mexican friend on Facebook.

Me: amigo! how goes? agua guy keeps saying smthg like "Agua - men-a-pooo!" what is he saying?

Mario: beats me. agua guy? some context might help.

Me: the water seller :)

Mario: electropura? which is the name of the brand...

Me: ahhh.. thats it.. ur a genius!

So, mystery solved! 

Finally, I can return to my hammock, kick back & relax, with my newest blended beverage concoction: mango-ice-men-a-poo!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...