Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Funny Mexican Phone Call Blooper

I just did an interview for blogexpat.com (yay! -- I'll add a proper link when it's published). They asked me how I communicate with home & I recalled a funny story that I forgot to blog about...

Google, Google, Google! Google video chat is reliable & free. I also use Google to make local calls. It’s about 50% cheaper than Skype.
One funny story: The country code here is 52, many numbers in Cancun start with 998, and you need to add a 1 if it’s a mobile phone. So if you’re using google, you usually end up dialing 011-521-998... Early on, I made the mistake of reversing the numbers and dialing 011-998-521... Now I can proudly say that, if ever I feel inclined to randomly dial one of Borat’s neighbors in Uzbekistan (after a late night out, for example), I can do that without having to look up a country code!

Btw, I don’t remember who I was trying to call (I may have been ordering a pizza) but I do remember the gist of the "conversation." I was using google to translate my request into Spanish and my Spanish was so bad that it took me a minute to realize that I wasn’t actually conversing with a Mexican! I was a Canadian in Mexico, speaking broken Spanish to a confused villager in Uzbekistan. God only knows who he thought was calling...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...