Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Internet in Cancun

I haven't posted for a while because we moved again & don't have internet access yet (I'm writing from Starbucks, which, like most things in Mexico, is 25-50% cheaper here than in Canada). And, being from Toronto, I'm used to dealing with terrible internet service: thanks to Rogers' monopoly, Ontario boasts some of the world's most expensive telecoms prices (with some of the worst customer service). At home, we pay about $50/month for internet alone. Here in Cancun, it's about $20/month for a bundle featuring internet, cable TV, AND wireless service!
Of course, this being Mexico, I was expecting terrible customer service here. And I've heard some horror stories. After moving into a new rental home, for example, one friend reportedly had to pay an internet company almost $100 to clear the previous tenant's delinquent account before he could get his own service. And, like I said, we're still waiting for a service call. They declined to come last week because the tropical storm (Ernesto) gave them a handy excuse not to. (Yep, the storm completely missed Cancun). But they're supposed to come this week so we'll see what happens. Odds are I'll be posting about this topic again. Here's hoping I'm wrong!

I want to end this post with a short list of Cancun Starbucks locations (a safe bet when you need www service):

- In Hollywood Plaza (on Coba, near Walmart)
- In the Cancun Outlet Plaza (at the end of Coba, near Home Depot)
- On Bonampak, East side, North of Coba

Of course there are other spots around Cancun with free wifi & whole websites dedicated to listing free wifi spots around the world. Check here for more info.

Happy surfing!

Update: It's ~a week later & I'm writing from Starbucks again. Of course, cablemas (our internet supplier) didn't come last week. To be fair, I think that was our housemate's fault. I went over to a cablemas outlet in the Plaza de las Americas & the clerk (who was very helpful) couldn't find a contract in our housemate's name (which makes me think he never had a contract). On the other hand, she couldn't find our house on their map (which makes me think, 1, their maps are not without errors, and, 2, the city of Cancun was designed by a mad man). I've certainly found lots of complaints about cablemas online, including one quip that cablemas (cable-plus) is really cablemenos (cable-minus). Anyway, we are supposed to have a service call on Saturday. How do you say "knock on wood" in Spanish?

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...